For the first time in a long time, I allowed myself to acknowledge the confusion and anxiety that I had been feeling. Motherhood brought a joy and a love no one could have ever prepared me for, but it also brought with it feelings of uncertainty. I wondered if I could be the Mom I thought I would be. I wondered if these were the same feelings all parents had. I wondered if I was fit for the journey I was about to take. And I felt guilty and angry with myself for feeling this way.
As tears streamed down my face, a beautiful butterfly landed on the butterfly bush in our front garden. And then another one landed beside it, and another beside it, and another. I stared in awe as I counted 23 butterflies land on the bushes blossoms. A smile swept across my face when I heard coos coming from my daughter awaking from her nap. I picked her up, kissed her tiny nose, and said, "how about you and mommy go count some butterflies".
Some Moms are faced with tremendous challenges, in a time where they too feel lost and alone in their own 'sea of boxes'. My passion, empathy, and respect for these Moms and families are what guide my work everyday as a Child & Family Therapist. This work allows me the humbling opportunity to allow others, wherever they find themselves on their journey, to stop and enjoy 'Counting Butterflies' along the way.
Sincerely,
Michelle Brans, M.A. (C. Psych)
Founder/Director, Child & Family Therapist
Michelle Brans, M.A. (C. Psych)
Founder/Director, Child & Family Therapist



No comments:
Post a Comment