Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Finding your Support Network as an Entrepreneur!


Last weekend I attended my semi-annual  momstown conference at the Courtyard Marriott in Niagara Falls!  The weekend was full of fantastic surroundings good company and a lot of learning! 

The Courtyard Marriott is a lovely hotel close to all the Niagara Attractions.  We had great rooms, a good conference area and wonderful food served up The Keg Steakhouse & Bar which is located in the hotel.  Some of our team arrived in the Chevrolet Equinox which is a very nice ride!  I was treated to a ride in it going to the beautiful Chateau de Charmes because no trip to Niagara is complete without visiting a local Wine Estate.  We had a tasting and tour while also getting our professional Headshots updated by the lovely CL Buchanan Photography.  I was also able to take part in a local tourist attraction with Niagara Parks by checking out the Journey Behind the Falls!

I love conference weekends as it is a chance to connect with the amazing woman from across Canada who run their local momstown business.  There is always a lot of ideas and planning as we gather to discuss how we can make momstown a better business and community for all the ladies in our cities!  I am always so motivated after spending a weekend with these ladies and come back with lots of new ideas.  This year momstown started a new tradition with an inaugural momstown awards night!  I am thrilled to be the first chapter owner to win the distinction of the Team Leadership Award!  This is a peer nominated award and I am so proud that my team mates view me as a team leader!

So what did I learn this weekend?  It certainly was not all about touring Niagara and catching up on the recent news.   This is a very focused conference with a lot of learning to cover and actionable results to bring back to my community to benefit all of you. 
However I think my most powerful learning in business have come from those essential connections I have made over the years the support me in my business.  Being an entrepreneur is hard work.  Being an entrepreneur who still has very young children in the home adds a whole new layer to that.  Having a support system at home that I can fully rely on and trust is one of my most important lessons recently. 
I had an experience a few weeks back where I was downtown Toronto at a very important business conference and of course the school called to let me know that my Son was not well. Without some great support that I could call on to go and pick him up from school and deliver him to the care of my Nanny I would have been in quite a bind.  Knowing that if I need to be away for business that my young family is being cared for by people I trust and that I have back up individuals I can call who can step in when needed allows me to travel without worry. 
I still battle that mother’s guilt but at least I know that people who will step in for me will give as much effort and attention to my family as I would myself.  I love this business for the flexibility that it gives me to be present with my family for most of the year.   However it is still a business that on occasion requires my undivided attention.  Building a support network is one of my biggest business assets.

Some of our team at the Beautiful Chateau de Charmes

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment